SC - tagine?

Diana Haven tantra at optonline.net
Wed Jul 14 04:15:48 PDT 1999

Robert Gonzalez wrote:

> A tajine is a morracan dish. and also the name of the ceramic cookware in
> which the dish is cooked and served.
> I am not sure how  far back it goes but it is very basic so it seems that it
> can go back quite a bit.
> morrocan cooking and tajines in particular are characterized by their use of
> fruits and vegtables along with meats in a thick stew or more like a gravy.

Hmmmmm....sounds a lil bit like cholent.  Any of you on the list ever
spend a friday night/saturday night at an orthodox jewish friend's
house?  Well....friday night all you smelled was the burnt pin feathers
from a freshly slaughtered kosher bird (my grandmother lived in a 6
floor building of ONLY orthodox jews - I can't explain just how
obnoxious that scent was).

Before sundown on friday, the lady of the house would put up a pot of
stew - browned meat with water, root vegetables and some oranges, dates,
figs and any other fruit they wanted.  It was kept on the lowest of
flames to cook (orthodox jews not being allowed by the religion to turn
on and off the stove during shabbos).  Finally, at sundown on Saturday,
we would sit down to a lovely bowl of glop - er...cholent.  It cooks
down into an amorphous mass but tastes lovely.

For jews, this dish is very old.  There is no real recipe - you learned
how to cook it from your mother.  I remember grandma telling me that in
Poland and Russia (she was from Poland - grandpa from Russia) there were
more root vegetables, and fruits were seasonal.

Diana