SC - danish recipes from 1300

Thomas Gloning Thomas.Gloning at germanistik.uni-giessen.de
Mon Jul 19 12:31:17 PDT 1999

The collection of 25 recipes seems to be, after Apicius, the oldest kept
cookbook in the Western world. Its from the beginning of the 13th
century. Its three different collections, written in German, Icelandic
and Danish. Rudolf Grewe has worked for a long time comparing the
different manuscripts. The Danish is kept today at the Royal Library in
Copenhaguen.
<<<

I heard of that. It seems to be the Harpestraeng-cookbook. But I never
found the edition of Harpestraeng:
- -- H. Harpestraeng, Gamle Danske Urtebo"ger, Stenbo"ger og Kogebo"ger.
Ed. M. Kristensen. Kopenhagen 1908-20.
Nor did I see the paper, Rudolf Grewe published on that topic in
"Current Research in Culinary History, Boston 1987, 27-45".

So:
- -- Did anybody see the Harpestraeng-edition?
- -- Did anybody see the Grewe-paper?
- -- Could anybody provide one original "German" recipe from that
collection? I would love to see what a German recipe from around 1200
looks like.
- -- Did Grewe publish anything else on the Harpestraeng-collection?

Thanks in advance,
Thomas