SC - Fwd: Ovens

Tue Jul 20 20:56:08 PDT 1999

> << Modernly, it is common to use coarse corn meal to keep the dough from
>  sticking to the peel or the oven.  I suspect coarse meal of barley or
> millet
>  was used in period for the same purpose
>
>  Bear >>
>
> I once used cracked wheat for the same purpose and it worked very well.
>
> Margherita the Weaver

As a guess, any coarse meal can be used.  Wheat would not have been used in
period because of the expense.  Barley was about the cheapest grain readily
available to bakers and would likely have been used in this manner.  Millet
was readily available and while not commonly used in baking, it might have
been used as a cheap meal to dust the oven.

Bear