SC - question about african food

Fri Jul 23 18:49:13 PDT 1999

Cassava is Brazilian.  There is supposed to be a sweet cassava whose roots
can be eaten without processing, but beyond that, I have no information.
Bitter cassava (Manihot esculenta) has toxic quantities of cyanide in the
roots.  The cyanide is leached by boiling, then the root is dried and ground
into flour.  Or so sayeth the quick ref, but it doesn't get into the
specifics of processing and cooking.

Bear