SC - Fish soup/stew

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Tue Jul 27 16:21:30 PDT 1999

Huette wrote:
>>I dont know if
>> it was the case of Norway and Iceland.
>>
>No, not really.  The Swedish vikings (The Rus) went
>east into central Europe and Russia to Byzantium,
>where they comprised the Verangian Guard. The Norse
>vikings went west to England, Iceland, Greenland and
>North America, with a stop-over in Normandy.  The
>Danish vikings raided Germany and the Baltic
>coastline, Norway and England.

Correct, even though there were a few Icelanders and Norwegians in the
Verangian Guard - I´ve often wondered what influences and artifacts those
young Icelanders may have brought home with them to their remote corner of
the world from a few years service at the Byzantian court. Perhaps a spice
box sometimes, to try to recreate some of the exotic cooking they had
experienced? That was, after all, what British officials did in the early
18th century when they returned home from India (resulting in the
development of curry powder).

When you say Norse, do you mean Norwegian? How IS the term Norse really used
in English? In Icelandic (and old Icelandic, or old Norse, if you will), the
term "norrænn" covers all the Scandinavian countries except Finland, in
addition to Iceland, Greenland, the Faroe Islands, and the settlements in
the British Isles; the term "norræn tunga" (the Norse language) covers not
just the western Scandinavian dialects, but any Scandinavian Germanic
dialect. I thought the term Norse covered the same fields but maybe I´m
wrong there.

Nanna