SC - Re: SALT (fwd)

Laura C Minnick lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Tue Jul 27 18:43:01 PDT 1999

	#3 of 3

'Lainie
- -
Laura C. Minnick
- -
'A Vaillans Coeurs Riens Impossible'
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731

Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 01:55:47 EDT
From: Michelle Ziegler <MichelleZi at AOL.COM>
To: ANSAX-L at WVNVM.WVNET.EDU
Subject: Re: SALT

In a message dated 7/24/99 9:27:45 PM, SKEEFER at TRENTU.CA writes:

>Don't know a lot about these but I sure liked your reply to George!!
>I went into malignant hypertension (254/180, I kid you not) two years
>ago and am now trying to back off my meds as they've been causing
>severe osteo-arthritis (I'm only 48). One of the things I've been
>doing is cutting out added salt. but since my daughter and I ride
>competitive dressage at National levels, and work with horses
>a lot, I know about electrolyte and salt balance in the equine system,
>and am concerned that I don't err on the side of caution.

With the salt added by modern food processing it would be very difficult to
cut out too much salt, read sodium. The other electrolytes don't effect your
blood pressure significantly. It is just hard for us to understand how little
sodium we really need and how quickly we fulfill our requirements.  A low
salt diet in the US would cut out a lot of foods that we don't normally add
any salt to.  Pulling a random can off the shelf, the "Nutrition Facts"  on a
serving of canned sweet corn claim it contains 230 mg of sodium per serving
which is 10% of the requirements of a 2000 calorie/day diet.  A serving is
1/3 of a cup, and keep in mind that the average woman has a diet closer to
1200-1500 calories per day. Canned corn is not something that tastes salty,
you can imagine how much salt is in other items that do taste salty.

Michelle