SC - Under 40 crowd?

Leslie Lansdowne lalliepop at netzero.net
Tue Jul 27 22:04:58 PDT 1999

Hi everyone!

I am new to the loop---and a youngster, that is if 33 is considered that!
This is all new to me, I am going to join the SCA and I am going to
(hopefully) attend my first meeting of the local chapter tonight--depending
on how well behaved my children are around dinner time!

I am a cook---well the chief cook in my household anyway, although it is
also a hobby with me.  I was a line cook for 10 years and while that is no
great accomplishment, it did prepare me for cooking for large amounts of
people in a short amount of time and putting out great food in the meantime!
I need those talents for my brood of 5 kids!

I have always been fascinated with medieval times.  I read the book The Once
and Future King when I was 8 and I've been an Arthurphile since--hoping
someday to write my own version of the Arthur story.  I have always been
fascinated with the food described in medieval stories and I would really
like to learn more about it---from the ingredients to the proper cooking
methods.  I am VERY green here, so please be patient if I ask "stupid"
questions!

I went to a local medieval faire last weekend and I enjoyed myself so much.
Other faires I have been to were more "commercial," this tried to be much
more authentic. (I guess except for the ostrich burgers and turkey legs???
LOL!)  I had a very fine roasted chicken dinner with roasted potatoes and
cole slaw (was cole slaw around way back when???)

I was thrilled to discover that the faire I had been to had a webpage, and
after exploring that I came upon the SCA pages and somehow I found this
loop.  I can't tell you how thrilled I am to have found all this!  For
years, I thought I was the only person who longed to have been from those
times---well in some ways anyway.  I never imagined that there were so many
people out there who really went to all lengths to recreate those times---I
am looking forward to learning and participating all I can!

Well, I've written a book so I'll cut out here and say that I am glad to be
here and plan on sticking around---I know nothing about medieval food and if
I plan on cooking at a SCA event someday---I guess I'd better get moving on
learning all this stuff!

The thing that REALLY sold me to this list (although I was sold from the
beginning) was the discussion about Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.  I knew
I was home when I saw that conversation!

An over-enthusiastic,
Leslie Lansdowne--who does not yet have a "name"
 Barony of the Cleftlands
 Middle Kingdom