SC - I Fired My Bread!

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Jul 1 19:05:11 PDT 1999

MAUREEN.L.MARTIN at DFAS.MIL writes:

<< I think I will add some
 salt next time even though none of the original recipes called for it. >>

This is an on-going source of disagreement among cooks. There are those who
say that because it isn't called for it wasn't there. Then there are those
like myself who believe it was used to taste and assumed to be used as a part
of the regular cooking process. Platina, IIRC, doesn't use salt in his
recipes but gives a warning or to not to use too much salt.Since salt is a
regulator of yeast growth, I would use it in bread recipes. Also the fact
that many dishes such as those that use chicken or eggs are insipid without
salt it is logical to use it in those recipes.

Which side is right on the salt use issue may never be known but personally I
tend to side with Platina :-)

Ras