SC - "cabelho" fish recipe?

Jessica Tiffin jessica at beattie.uct.ac.za
Sat Jul 3 05:23:05 PDT 1999

Ana L. Valdés said:

> > spices they found in Madagascar and Macao. Their recipes about the dried
> > fish named "cabelho" are also unique.
Ooooh, this is fascinating!  When you say "dried fish named cabelho", does
the name refer to a particular fish species, or to any kind of fish which is
dried??  There's a stockfish found only off the coast of Southern Africa and
Madagascar, which is a prime eating fish, and which in Afrikaans is called
kabeljou, pronounced "cabble-yo".  The name is apparently derived from the
Old Dutch (according to my housemate's book on S. African fish-species), but
sounds _very_ similar to the Portuguese.   I'm wondering if there was
cross-cultural wossname here, and if so, which way??

Jehanne

Jehanne de Huguenin, called Melisant * Jessica Tiffin
 melisant at iafrica.com * jessica at beattie.uct.ac.za *
users.iafrica.com/m/me/melisant
Seneschal, Shire of Adamestor, Drachenwald (Cape Town, South Africa)
Sable, three owls rising argent, each maintaining a willow slip vert.