SC - Vodka

Charles Diters shadowood at sprynet.com
Sun Jul 4 13:53:46 PDT 1999

Ras wrote:

> [Russian, from voda water; akin to Old English waeter water]
>
> First appeared circa 1803
>
> Ras

True, if all we're looking for the the English use of the word.  I don't
have an historical Russian dictionary, but the earliest quote in OED (where
Ras probably got his info) is from a traveler's account, reporting on
extant Russian usage, that must predate the publication.  Any linguists out
there?

					Bjarni, lurking over Annora's shoulder