SC - Turkish Breakfast - Suggestions Anyone?

Weaver8002 at aol.com Weaver8002 at aol.com
Sun Jul 4 16:42:30 PDT 1999

In a message dated 7/4/99 3:41:06 PM EST, mbrunzie at dba-sw.com writes:

<<
 > Eggs?  With what
 > spicings?

 One Persian dish I enjoy is called Kukuye, where miscellaneous vegetable
 is sauteed with garlic, pepper, salt, and maybe parsley, paprika, or
 cinnamon; then beaten eggs are poured over the vegetable while still in
 the skillet, and it's cooked over low heat until the egg sets.  We have
 omellettes like this all the time (great for using up odds and ends
 veggies!).
 For instance: peel, and slice lengthwise 4 medium eggplants; saute them
 in oil until golden brown. Let cool, and mash  Add 2 tsp. salt, 1 tsp.
 pepper, 2 cloves minced garlic, and 3 tbsp. lemon juice and mix well.
 Beat 4 eggs (you can separate the whites and beat them until fluffy, but
 that sounds like a lot of work for a caravan, and besides, I don't know
 if that's a period way to go about your eggs!), and mix with the eggplant
 mixture.  Cover the skillet and cook over low heat until the eggs are set
 (something like 10 minutes, I think).  Cut into wedges to serve.

 Tell me if I'm being too fussy, but where did the eggs come from.  I thought
this was a caravan in the desert.

 > Sausages?

 Heavens no!  Sausages are made from pig, which are strictly _haram_; you
 would never find anything involving pig in a Turkish or Persian meal
 (unless we're talking about the Christian minority, but that only means
 it's possible, not necessarily likely).

Of course, pork is not the only thing you can make sausage out of -- there's
beef, lamp, poultry and even fish sausage.

I would think (I admit I don't know) they would have fresh flat bread and
leftovers from the night before.  Olives and cheese (camel's milk cheese)
sound reasonable also.

Magherita the Weaver