SC - Hummus

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Jul 5 06:33:56 PDT 1999

In a message dated 7/5/99 5:19:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time, agora at algonet.se
writes:

<< Sorry to disagree with you. My sources are "Classic Turkish Cooking," by
 Ghillie Basan and "Classical Turkish Cooking," by Ayla Algar. They have
 recipes for hummus and other chickpeas dishes, as manti and leblebi.
 Greetings
 Ana L. Valdés  >>

Who are you disagreeing with? Both these books are wonderful but classical
cooking is not period cooking. The corpus of translated medieval Middle
Eastern recipes does not contain anything even remotely like hummus anywhere.

My 'Classical French' cookbook contains  a recipe for Vanilla Cream which is
not period at all. :-) The word classical does not denote a historical style
of cooking. It denotes a formal style of cooking.

His Grace has done extensive research into this area and will most likely
agree with me regarding the hummus issue. If you have documented PERIOD
sources that prove me wrong, I would be happy to add them to my collection. I
would love to be able to add hummus to my period recipe database.

Ras