SC - Vegetarianism

Michelle "TJ" Brunzie mbrunzie at dba-sw.com
Tue Jul 6 17:56:01 PDT 1999

Ras wrote:
> In a message dated 7/6/99 12:24:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> mermayde at juno.com writes:
>
> <<  Is there actual scripture that implies that he did not
>  eat meat?
>  	Christianna >>
>
> He certainly ate lamb occasionally and lots of fish. Chiquart
> insinuates that
> there were some people that came to feasts that did not eat meat but then
> recommends that various fish dishes be prepared for them. So it is likely
> that the vast majority of non-meat eaters in the MAs at least ate
> fish. The
> concept of including water creatures in the 'meat' category seems to be a
> relatively modern phenomenon in western cultures.
>
> Ras

Then too, I've heard (note: I have NO proof of this!) that geese were not
considered meat in the MAs because they were thought to "hatch" from goose
neck barnacles...  Of course, anyone who raised geese would surely know
that wasn't the case!

You know, if I could just find documentation for *half* the things I've
"heard" about the Middle Ages, I would be such an expert...

Violente de San Sebastiano de la Frontera
"If you could do anything in the world...would you?"