SC - Horsemeat, was Re: "cruel food"-

Varju at aol.com Varju at aol.com
Wed Jul 7 10:53:01 PDT 1999

In a message dated 7/7/1999 5:30:27 AM Mountain Daylight Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

<< Re horsemeat: there has been a fairly stubborn streak of horse-eating in
 the North of England until fairly recently. It was linked to both
 religious practice and political affiliation, especially after the
 Norman Conquest, but the practice seems to have persisted until at least
 the 19th century, where the meat, known as "kicker" earned Yorkshiremen
 the pejorative nickname "kicker-eater". >>

I've been following this thread with inteterest since I come from a part of
the US where a horse would be the next to last thing eaten, and not for any
squamishness.  The cowoby mentality, which still survives, is that your horse
is your best and most dependable companion.  Eating your horse only happened
in very exteme cases where it was that or death, and happened rarely because
you can almost always find a wild critter to eat around here.

My question is what does horse taste like?  My father has eaten horse (it was
during WWII in Germany and was all they could get) and said he prefers
rabbit. . .

Noemi
in a quizical mood. . .
Outlands