SC - Horsemeat

snowfire at mail.snet.net snowfire at mail.snet.net
Wed Jul 7 16:07:12 PDT 1999

>Where did you get this information ? I'd be very interested to find out
>your source as I have not heard of English eating horses at all, except
>when visiting the continent :).

At least in the areas I am familiar with in Britain, horsemeat is not eaten.
It is for dog food.  (That's the mind set).

I also have a book which echoes this and states that pre-world war II,
horsemeat was sold purely as dog food in Britain.  However people did eat it
during the war when there was a desperate scramble for alternate food
sources.  The book states that British magazines in 1943 made reference to
horsemeat being very tasty, especially in Steak and Kidney Pie, and comments
that doing that might have needed a strong stomach.  There's also a war-time
photograph of people lining up at a butchers shop to buy horseflesh (it was
not rationed as other meats were).

The Wartime kitchen and Garden: The Home Front 1939-45 by Jennifer Davies
(BBC Publications).

Elysant