SC - Apician Carrots

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Jul 8 06:24:28 PDT 1999

In a message dated 7/8/99 8:57:21 AM Eastern Daylight Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

<< The closest I can find in Apicius is
 a dish of carrots in cumin sauce, ....<snip>.... you'd have a
 honey sauce for carrots. Sort of.

 Adamantius >>

Apicius does recommend a method of storing vegetables which is taking young
vegetables and covering them with honey. I presume the honey was not
discarded in the preparation of the vegetable later on but stranger things
have been found.

Could this be the origins of the dish? Are there any recipes in Apicius which
might provide evidence on how vegetables preserved in honey were used? And,
were carrots one of the vegetables preserved in this manner? If the honey
preservative was used and carrots were preserved in this manner then, this
may be the answer to the origins of the recipe and to the answer to why it is
attributed to Apicius. Are there any Apician scholars on the list who might
know the answers to these questions? Llewellyn, perhaps (although I am unsure
if he is still subscribed)?

Ras
.