SC - Apician Carrots

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Jul 8 09:24:08 PDT 1999

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 7/8/99 8:57:21 AM Eastern Daylight Time, troy at asan.com
> writes:
>
> << The closest I can find in Apicius is
>  a dish of carrots in cumin sauce, ....<snip>.... you'd have a
>  honey sauce for carrots. Sort of.
>
>  Adamantius >>
>
> Apicius does recommend a method of storing vegetables which is taking young
> vegetables and covering them with honey. I presume the honey was not
> discarded in the preparation of the vegetable later on but stranger things
> have been found.
>
> Could this be the origins of the dish? Are there any recipes in Apicius which
> might provide evidence on how vegetables preserved in honey were used? And,
> were carrots one of the vegetables preserved in this manner? If the honey
> preservative was used and carrots were preserved in this manner then, this
> may be the answer to the origins of the recipe and to the answer to why it is
> attributed to Apicius. Are there any Apician scholars on the list who might
> know the answers to these questions? Llewellyn, perhaps (although I am unsure
> if he is still subscribed)?
>
> Ras

There's a recipe nearly identical to medieval Compost or the French
equivalent green nut preserve, in a vinegar/mustard/honey sauce. It is
for turnips (rapae), though, and doesn't say whether the vegetables are
preserved raw or cooked. It just says to clean them. I'm tempted to
think this might be just for preserving them, though, if the turnips are
indeed raw when sauced.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy