SC - Re: Last Minute Details

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jul 10 14:02:03 PDT 1999

Margali writes:

>Still going through old emails-
>So what is the difference in this and royal icing other than
>the gum trag.?
>How does the addittion of gum trag. change the working
>texture from that of royal icing?
>How does this compare to fondant?

Briefly, royal icing is runny.  Gum/sugar paste is not; neither is
fondant.  Both can be used to cover modern cakes but the results are
somewhat different.

If you dip a knife into royal icing, you can let the icing drip off.
It should take to about a count of 10 for the drip to incorporate
itself back into the icing.  Much under that and it is too runny; add
more sugar.  Much over that, or if the drip sits on top of the icing,
it is too thick; add more liquid.

You can't knead royal icing.  You must knead gum/sugar paste.

Royal icing does not have egg.  Gum/sugar paste has egg white.  Fondant
is similar to gum/sugar paste.  I don't believe that fondant sets up as
hard as gum/sugar paste.  Pastillage appears to be similar to gum/sugar
paste.  Modern recipes often call for gelatin rather than gum
tragacanth.  I haven't tried any recipes like that to see how it might
work differently.  Does any of the above help?

Alys Katharine