SC - Introducing myself to the list

Mark Simms msimms at roadrunner.nf.net
Sat Jul 10 23:55:20 PDT 1999

Your Grace,

This is somewhat embarrassing :)  I've tried to dig up my source for
that particular recipe, and simply cannot remember exactly where I found
it.  I must have assumed that since I found it on a site dedicated to
"period" recipes.. I really should know better (sort of the same thing
as saying that fish and brewis is a "period dish" because it's an ethnic
meal of a group that existed in period :)  At any rate, after some
looking I found it described in several places as an "ethnic Moroccan"
dish, and served of all places at the University of Waterloo, as part of
their meal plan.  Guess I need to relabel that one..

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/People/mjw/recipes/ethnic/morocco-tangine.html was
the one I used it seems.

> I conjecture, since you mention that the bean stew is not quite period,
> that the other dishes are from period recipes.

The bean stew was my adaptation of a traditional Newfoundland stew, with
the potatoes eliminated.  Essentially, soak dried beans in water for
about a day.  Boil them in a pot with several chunks of salt beef.  When
the beans start to get tender, add turnips, parsnips, carrot, leeks, and
onions and boil until the beans have reached an almost porridge-like
consistency.  Add crushed peppercorns throughout to taste (I tend to
make this extremely spicy), but add no additional salt (the salt beef
makes for a perfect balance of salt - as was made necessary at one event
where I somehow managed to forget it :).  The end result should be a
very thick and hearty stew (which is also very cheap to make).

On that particular note, does anyone happen to have any references to
the consumption of seals in period?

> Could you identify some of
> them? In particular, where is the lamb and pear tagine from? There are lots
> of lamb tajine's in Manuscrito Anonimo, but I can't fine any with pears.

Would any of these tagine's be available on-line anywhere?  I've
developed quite a taste for this sort of dish :)

> Is
> the cheese and onion pie an ember day tart?

Yes, it's from the Forme of Cury, and I used James Matterer's redaction
from A Boke of Gode Cookery
(http://www.labs.net/dmccormick/huen/huenrec/hrec20.htm)

> Honeyed dates?

That would be the Stuffed Dates in Honey, from Vehling, as redacted by
Rebecca Smith (http://www.labs.net/dmccormick/huen/friends/frec59.htm).

Regards,

Donal
- --
Mark Simms                          Engineering Student, Class of 2002
Memorial University of Newfoundland Vice President, 6th St. John's
WWW: http://www.engr.mun.ca/~msimms Rovers Ground Search and Rescue
Email: msimms at engr.mun.ca           IEEE Student Branch Secretary