SC - What kind of wine goes *on* tuna?

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Mon Jul 12 16:50:04 PDT 1999

Having translated the tuna recipes, I decided that the marinated grilled
tuna looked worth trying  -- easy, and well-suited to my health
restrictions.  It's simple enough, except that I am utterly ignorant about
wines.  The ingredients of the marinade are: white wine, boiled wine,
vinegar, garlic, pepper, salt.

Since the recipe is Spanish, it seems appropriate to use Spanish
wines.  I was thinking of using a red wine for the "boiled wine" (which I
would then reduce by half), for no reason that I can justify, except that I
tend to assume red wine is the default.  Perhaps the boiled wine ought
to be a bit sweet, to give the marinade some balance.

Can anyone suggest what kinds of wines would be appropriate for this
purpose?  I have no clue even where to start.  I barely know a sherry
from a chardonnay.  I don't want anything very expensive, or obscure.  I
have access to a medium-sized suburban liquor store, whose Spanish
wine section comprises about 2 dozen different varieties.

Brighid

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann