SC - WAS-primary sources (long)

Rayne and Richard PRIDEelectric at centuryinter.net
Tue Jul 13 08:26:28 PDT 1999

I have read a number of intelligent comments to this message, before I decided to
return to the original post below and add my own opinions (note the difference).
Since there are so many events held all over the world and so many people travel
the odds are that most feastcrats eat more feasts prepared by others than by
themselves. With this in mind, they are also the _populace_ and look at food as
something to eat as well as an A&S entry or a work of skill and documentation.

I, personally, am a "picky eater".  Think of a small child that has five favorite
foods and wants to eat just them all the time....and who THEN for no reason wakes up
one morning and announces to the world that they now hate a particular food.  That
is me  :-)

Now at no time do I ever expect a feastcrat at an event to cook "just "for me and
when I prepare foods for others I do not "cook for me" either.  This may not make
sense but my family would never had tasted grits (or many other foods) if they could
only eat what I like (BTW: grits are called grits because they are "gritty" and stay
in your mouth all day.  At least cream of wheat goes down).

Back to picky eaters (like me).  I think that many people sitting at the feast table
are just not adventurous.  They eat foods that are familiar to them.  When I prepare
a feast I usually make dishes that "familiar" and then a few "strange" ones.  I am
feeding two types of people.  Those who are hungry and want something to eat AND are
picky eaters.  And those who go to feasts to experience the middle ages in their
food as well as well as in their garb, games, fighting, etc., and who are also
hungry.

The going thing around here (Meridies) at most events is for the feastcrat to post
the feast menu either prior to the event (online) or on the feasthall door early in
the day with the ingredients.  That way if the populace doesn't like the menu or is
allergic to something they can take whatever steps necessary for them to get fed.

When I left to live in Europe for four years my mother thought I would starve to
death.  Well, I left weighting almost 300 pounds and returned at 135.  But mostly
because I danced all the time and had little food for me and two children.  BUT the
main reason was that there was NO fast food where I lived and I ate foods that I
didn't like.  One reason why now I do not.  Yes, my weight has gone up some, but I
like to enjoy my food.  For me to enjoy breads I like spreads, butters, dips,
creams, etc.  I have had people present bread before me that is "just wonderful" by
itself.  True, but I "still" want spreads.   To handle this I bring my own bread and
spreads to the feast table.  That way if the feast is delayed, consists of foods I
don't like, can't eat (allergic to most nuts) I do not starve.  I have had people
tell me that to bring my own food is insulting to the chef (feastcrat), just as if I
brought food into a restaurant.  (opinions?)  I do not feel that way if someone
brought food to an event I cooked at.  In fact, I probably would not notice as I am
in the kitchen cooking.  Many people stay for feast not for the food, but for the
companionship of their table mates and the ambiance of the whole thing.

The only thing that I hate to see at events is food go back uneaten.  Either because
the populace didn't like it, didn't try it or because too much food was served.
This is really getting to be pet-peave of mine.  Do I try foods I not recognize?
Maybe if it "looks good to me".  To I eat it if I do not like it?  No.  But I have
been to a particular site (event) over the years and have seen the same feastcrat
prepare "their specialty" over and over and have seen the populace eat very little
of it - over and over.   When the dishes come back time after time mostly uneaten -
put that recipe in the back of the book!   And I still feel that three removes is
more than plenty.  I vote for the event where all the food is brought out at one
time or dish after dish without pauses.  Then a space and a sweet.  I am not a big
"lets have entertainment between removes" person.

Well, darn this got long.

Rayne