SC - tagine?

Robert Gonzalez robgonzo at cwix.com
Wed Jul 14 00:24:09 PDT 1999

A tajine is a morracan dish. and also the name of the ceramic cookware in
which the dish is cooked and served.
I am not sure how  far back it goes but it is very basic so it seems that it
can go back quite a bit.
morrocan cooking and tajines in particular are characterized by their use of
fruits and vegtables along with meats in a thick stew or more like a gravy.
I've seen all sorts of combinations some even using fish as the meat.
the main thing tho is the use of several exotic spices.
This is a good link for more on moroccan cooking.
http://www.sas.upenn.edu/African_Studies/Cookbook/Morocco.html

and here is a Tajine recipe I got from David Rosengarten's show Taste. on
the food network.
BTW the Ras el Hanout mentioned is a spice blend which varies from place to
place. It means basically the best of the shop. meaning that if you go to a
spice store and ask for ras el hanout you will get a blend of the top 15 or
20 spices in the store. In the show David made a blend which include a few
basic things like annise and cinnomon as well as some more exotic items like
rose buds and orange blossom. unfortunately the web Food Network website did
not give the ingredients of that blend. Should have taped that one...
One of these days i'll get the guts to try this at an event or something. If
someone does please let me know how it goes.
Buena Suerte!
Roberto Maroquin de Aragon
Bjornsborg, Ansteorra

LAMB, PRUNE AND BUTTERNUT SQUASH TAGINE
(Adapted from Paula Wolfert Recipe)
3 pounds boned lamb shoulder, cut into 2-inch pieces
3 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/8 teaspoon ground saffron
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon Ras el Hanout, if desired
1/4 cup grated onion
5 sprigs fresh cilantro, tied with string
1 cup thinly sliced onion
I pound pitted prunes, soaked in cold water for 15 minutes
1/2 cup honey
2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut in 2-inch pieces
1/2 cup orange flower water
2 cinnamon sticks
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
Trim excess fat from meat.
In a bowl combine the butter, oil, saffron, turmeric, pepper, ginger, Ras el
Hanout, and onion. Dip meat in mixture to completely coat and add to
casserole set over moderate heat. Cook meat, turning, until no longer pink.
Add enough water to just cover meat and the cilantro, bring to a boil and
simmer, covered, 1 hour. Add sliced onions and simmer 30 minutes longer. Add
drained prunes and simmer, uncovered, until sauce is reduced to 1 cup.
Arrange squash in a fresh pan. Add orange flower water, honey and cinnamon
sticks. Simmer 15 minutes undisturbed. Reduce cooking liquid over high heat
until syrupy. Return to casserole and simmer 5 minutes, or until squash is
tender.
To serve: transfer meat to a serving dish, spoon sauce with onion and prunes
over it and garnish with the squash. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds. Serve
over Couscous.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Recommended drink: Green Tea