SC - Cookbooks and cultural heritage

ana l. valdes agora at algonet.se
Sat Jul 17 04:26:09 PDT 1999

Yes, in fact it was a lot of discussions about how to manage and "store"
books, manuscripts, pictures. A man from the Louvre showed us their
latest achievement, http://wwww.louvre.edu, a site for schools and
teachers. A interactive and beutifoul designed site to attract young
people to arts and humanities.
He spoke about "The Futur of the Past" and it was indeed a good title.
It was lectures about Dublin Core (the use of metadata to define and
localize resources on the web) and about researchers doing extremly
interesting work about new searching tools, more advanced and more
precis than all commercial stuff we hav now (Altavista, Yahoo, Ask
Jeeves, etc).
It was special a man, Kim Veldman, the director to Marschall Macluhans
Institute, who organized the event, who showed a demo for SUMM, a new
tool he is in train to design. In this tool then he showed the demo and
the slides, was possible to capture concepts and not only words. An
example: if we take Leonardo da Vinci, we can ask the searching engine
to show us Leonardo as a painter, Leonardo as an inventor, Leonardo as a
writer of cookbooks. If we go to cookbooks, from Leonardo we can link to
other pages or resources about Food in the Rennaisance and we got a
chain of unending associations, based in the plurality and not in the
exclusion.
I come hom full of inspiration, sorry if I was carred away and went of
topic.
Yours
Ana

Thomas Gloning skrev:

> > Ana, glad to be back. Nederlands was too hot...
>
> Were there any important results or inspirations re cookbooks and
> cultural heritage/digital library projects?
>
> Cheers,
> Thomas

- --
http://www.algonet.se/~agora  Hemsida och skyltfönster