SC - danish recipes from 1300

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Jul 19 10:40:20 PDT 1999

At 3:01 PM +0200 7/19/99, ana l. valdes wrote:
>The collection of 25 recipes seems to be, after Apicius, the oldest kept
>cookbook in the Western world. Its from the beginning of the 13th
>century. Its three different collections, written in German, Icelandic
>and Danish. Rudolf Grewe has worked for a long time comparing the
>different manuscripts. The Danish is kept today at the Royal Library in
>Copenhaguen.

Grewe wrote a piece on it, published for some reason by the Culinary
Historians of Boston (or some similar named group). His conclusion was that
the original was actually a southern European cookbook that someone had
brought north and that had then spawned the surviving daughter manuscripts
(the original is lost).

The Lord's Salt is something we have been making for years; it really works
quite well for preserving meat. I don't guarantee six months, but we tested
for several weeks. There is also a chicken wrapped in bacon wrapped in sage
wrapped in dough that is one of our standard recipes. It's known in SCA
circles as "Icelandic Chicken," since when I first discovered the
collection it was the Icelandic version (contained in an Icelandic Medical
Miscellany) that I had.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/