SC - danish recipes from 1300

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Jul 20 21:33:22 PDT 1999

Master Cariadoc mentioned:
> Grewe wrote a piece on it, published for some reason by the Culinary
> Historians of Boston (or some similar named group). His conclusion was that
> the original was actually a southern European cookbook that someone had
> brought north and that had then spawned the surviving daughter manuscripts
> (the original is lost).

Interesting. I was originally going to use this to start a file as fd-Danes-msg
but I guess that may not be best. Is there a name this set of cookbooks is
known by? Perhaps "Harpestreng" something or other.

Now that you mention it, I do remember you (Master Cariadoc) or others
mentioning this collection before. You say that it is actually a
southern European cookbook. But the fact that it did indeed spawn at
least three daughter manuscripts would imply that it was being used to
cook from. Are these three different versions in different languages
direct copies of the first manuscript but in different languages? Do
some versions have recipes that are not in the others? This might imply
that these daughter manuscripts were not direct copies of the same
manuscript but copies of copies with additional, local recipes added
in the intervening copies. Is there any evidence that any of the
recipes in this collection start appearing in other cookbooks of these
regions but later in date? I doubt we have enough data for this but
it is an interesting angle.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: