SC - In Grewe's own words, The German Connection, was: Danish recipes, etc.

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jul 21 08:13:34 PDT 1999

Hullo, the list!

After all the commentary, questions, and _talking around_ Rudolf Grewe's
work on this early XIII century Somewhere-In-Northern-European cookbook
presenting reputed Somewhere-in-Southern-European recipes, I thought I'd
check Grewe's own article(s) on the piece. In particular I was
interested in determining why he seems to feel the recipes were
originally written in German. After examining what he says, though, I'm
still not completely certain I buy the explanations given. The evidence
he supplies doesn't seem to me to be in conclusive support of his claim.
Either I'm misunderstanding something he's saying, or there's more
evidence I'm not seeing, but he appears to me to be adding two and two
to get five.

Anyway, though, here's Part One of Dr. Rudolf Grewe's "An Early XIII
Century Northern-European Cookbook", sans an introduction saying,
essentially, that the paper is in three parts:

> FIRST PART: TEXTUAL QUESTIONS.
>
> The original text of the cookbook or recipe collection seems to be lost, and the original language in which it was written, and its place of origin, is a matter of conjecture that I will discuss later once the evidence available has been described. The extant versions of the cookbook have been preserved in four codices and I will start by discussing these in order of publication.
>
> CODEX K. (COPENHAGEN)
>
> This codex is in the Royal Library of Copenhagen (Ny samling, nr. 66, 8vo). Physically it is of small dimensions, a fact that it is important to keep in mind. It has 147 parchment folios of 11.7 x 9 cm. It may be dated c. 1300 and except for a few pages extraneous to the text it appears to be written by the same hand, in a very legible script typical of the XIII or XIV centuries.
>
> This codex contains 3 works in Danish; an herbal (110 folios), a lapidary (24 folios) and our cookbook (7 folios), and it was first published by Molbech in 1826 as works of Henrik Harpestraeng, and more recently by Marius Kristensen. (See bibliography)
>
> Kristensen and other scholars have identified Henrik Harpestraeng with Magister Henricus Dacus. He studied and practiced medicine in Orleans, France in 1181 and became physician to the Danish king, and died in 1244. It is worth mentioning that the herbal attributed to him has for sources Macer Floridus and Constantius Africanus, both of the School of Salerno (XI and XII centuries).
>
> The cookbook cannot be attributed to him, as it will be made clear, but he could have translated it into Danish. If so, an early XIII century date for the original woud be obvious. This version has 25 recipes and has the peculiarity that each recipe has  aLatin title.
>
> CODEX Q. (COPENHAGEN)
>
> This codex is also in the Royal Library of Copenhagen (Ny samling Nr. 7OR, 8 vo.) and consists at present of only 5 small folios (13 x 11 cm.). It is dated as XIV century. It contains only our cookbook written in Danish, except for some extraneous material in folio 1 recto.
>
> Molbech discovered it after having published the previous codex and realized the similarity to the previous cookbook and published it in 1844. A more modern edition has been made by Kristensen, as part of the works of Harpestraeng. This version contains 31 recipes and has no Latin titles. Comparing it with K it becomes clear that Q is independent of K; that is, they are different translations of an original that has probably been lost.
>
> CODEX D. (DUBLIN)
>
> This codex is at present in Dublin (Royal Irish Academy 23 D 43). It is a small octavo of 74 folios and is dated last quarter of the XV century. The contents are much older, however, and consist of several medical works, including the three of Codex K, attributed to Harpestraeng. All are written in Icelandic.

> [...]

In the somewhat forlorn hope this has clarified something (but not sure
what!) for somebody (not sure who!),

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy