SC - questions about african food- Recipe

Pamela S Keightley shughes at vvm.com
Fri Jul 23 20:13:01 PDT 1999

Dear Helen,
 Good question. I wondered  about how American Indians discovered you
had to wash acorn meal a couple of times to be able to eat it. I think
that man learned a lot by watching what animals eat. Many animals eat
acorns, but the stuff is bitter. Ok, lets try washing it?
  As for sea foods, some sea gulls take clams and drop them from on high
to crack them open. Cave man duck, but man see gull eat, man do. Shell
fish GOOD. Little shells on rocks? Good, too??
 Animals' keener sense of smell tells them when something is good to
eat, well most of the time.  My dachshund was confused there for awhile
about the difference between wet dog  food and other dog's poop.
  The desperation factor could be another teacher. Fermented cabbage,
Caviar or bread fruit smells pretty bad, but tastes good.
 Lightening and forest fires probably account for the discovery that
roasted nuts were good. Burning tobacco smelled good, so good you would
take the trouble to make your own fire and breath the smoke, so good,
you would create a way to guide the smoke to your mouth. I understand
that other burning herbs also can act as drug deliver systems. Blame it
on the lightening.
Fellow Wonderer,
Pamela Hewitt, the Harper
<