SC - portuguis period food

ana l. valdes agora at algonet.se
Mon Jul 26 02:01:10 PDT 1999

Hi, I wanted to answer the people who asked me about monastic food and
Portugis middleage food.
Here is two recipes from the cookbook written for the princess Maria,
who married Alessandro Farnese, the Rennaisance prince.
The book is little, only 67 recipes. The critics says it was written
between the end of the 15 century and the beginning of the 16 century,
since some recipes assume the New World was already discovered and the
Portuguis started to eat things they found in Brazil.
Funny enough, in this book its impossible to find any recipe for
Bacalhau, the fishdish which was as important for Portugal since the 13
century. Maybe the cookbook was used only in the Court and the
"upperclass" considered bacalhau-dishes too proletarians.
This book was founded 1896, i the National Library in Neapel.

Alfatete

Take well pure flour and make sure it is white. Make a hole on it and
add sugar, two eggyolks and butter. Mix all well. Leave the dough on a
bowl. Make doughballs and fry them in butter.

Boil a hen and use pepper and spices, use butter and lard with spices
and goatmeat and broth. When the hen is cooked, lay over the fried
doughballs in a serving tray and powder with sugar. Put the hen over the
sugarpowdered doughballs, add the broth and some runny eggyolks. Powder
with sugar and cinammon.

Goatliverterrine

Boil the liver of a goat and grate it well. Grate several eggyolks too.
Add clove, cinammon and sugar, plus some flour. Take the stomach of the
get and cut it it in small pieces. Lay the mixture with the get liver
inside the pieces of stomac and fry it and make them as rolls or buns or
cakes. (I am not sure of the translation).
Powder the buns with flour and fry it in a pan. Powder with sugar and
cinammon.

Yours
Ana
- --