SC - OOP recipe and Re: vodka for bandy in cordials was

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Jul 26 15:37:18 PDT 1999

In a message dated 7/26/99 5:52:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
oftraquair at hotmail.com writes:

<< Being much fonder of brandy than of vodka, I can't imagine why the
 substitution is considered better.  There is talk of vodka being more
 neutral.  In my opinion, it is so neutral that a certain richness of flavor
 is lost in the end product.

Agreed. A lot of substitutions for period ingredients are a direct result of
the subs being more 'neutral,' or less flavorful. I think this is a direct
result of commercial food production. They either supply a totally unnatural
intensity of flavor or the exact opposite. As a result the current generation
has no concept of flavor layers and their palettes are for the most part so
dulled by fast food, frozen pizza, and microwave meals tasting more than a
little like poorly flavored cardboard that they have come to expect
explosions of single flavors from beverages or tasteless cardboard flavors
from meals. Unfortunately, this is oftentimes reflected in A&S entries and
attempts at creating period feasts.

On a more upbeat scale, my student Puck, on our recent sailing trip produced
some of the finest 'home' cooking I have eaten in a very long time by
combining modern and period ingredients. One of the dishes that I can still
taste is his version of 'Fried Potatoes'. He first sautéed chopped onion in
olive oil until it was very soft and translucent, added thinly sliced new
potatoes, salt and pepper. As a final addition he sprinkled rose water all
over the top. Stirred it. Put a cover on it and let it steam on low heat
until; the potatoes were fork tender. The resulting dish was absolutely
wonderful with an aftertaste of mild horseradish. I have put this in my
'favorites' file under 'Boat Potatoes Puck' as a memorial to this fine chef.
:-)

Ras