SC - Re: Forwarded Message - EK list - Pennsic

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Tue Jul 27 07:26:35 PDT 1999

In a message dated 7/27/99 7:31:21 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Tollhase1 at aol.com writes:

<< So I had planned on bringing dried Gatorade and adding water, Not a good
 idea? >>

Personally, I've never had a problem with the water at Cooper's Lake as far
as drinking it, and it's only recently I've used any bottled water there.  My
first five years or more I used exclusively Cooper's water.  It has a very
high mineral content and smells of sulphur when hot, although I've been told
there's no sulphur in it.  It does discolor sitting in the sun in a jug.  It
tastes a little wierd, and adding powdered or concentrated drink mixes to it
helps cover the taste.  As a very active chirurgeon at Pennsic for about the
last 8 years, I can confidantly state that, in that time, we have never had
an outbreak of water-borne illness other than a day or two of diarhea while
people's systems get used to the different mineral levels.  And this only
affects some people.  It has never bothered me or my husband.

I know people don't like the water, and that the discoloration looks
suspicious when you are used to municipal water systems.  But frankly, I
don't know why everybody gets all bent out of shape about the water.  I've
heard people relay stories of "I was sick when I got home, and went to my
doctor.  I told him I'd been camping and he said 'it must have been the water
that made me sick'."  Unless the doctor tested for water-borne illness, this
is just a speculation, not truth.  It could just as easily have been food
poisoning from improperly handling foods in camp.

Brangwayna Morgan