SC - Big birds on the medieval plate

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jul 28 12:51:18 PDT 1999

Bonne of Traquair wrote:

> I beleive swan season still exists along the coast/outer banks area of NC.
> The fishiness was probably a "what you are used to" problem.  I've never had
> swan, but can't imagine a reason why it would be more fishy tasting than
> duck.
>
> Bonne

Other things, environmentally, being equal, edible waterfowl vary in
"fishiness" from species to species. In the case of duck, domesticated
duck is considerably less powerful in fishy flavor than wild duck. I
suppose it's possible swans were semi-domesticated, fed things like
grain for a time before slaughter, to improve the flavor. Or, it may
simply be what people are used to.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy