SC - vermilion/kermes, was Apicius / Kitab al-Tabikh

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Wed Jul 28 18:40:12 PDT 1999

Hello!

To change this thread completely... There are a few recipes & mentions in
the Baghdad Cookery book of a red food coloring which has been translated
as 'vermilion'.

In one instance (p. 24), it is being smeared on boiled eggs to make
vermilioned eggs. The halwa recipe (p. 210) is colored with saffron or
vermilion.

I was wondering if anyone knew whether the original was referring to the
poisonous vermillion/cinnabar (mercuric sulphide -- zanjifrah), or to
kermes (qirmiz/chermez)?

Also, has anyone come across any early culinary references for kermes?

Regards,

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net
Recipes"