SC - Under 40 crowd?

Mordonna22 at aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Thu Jul 29 06:47:00 PDT 1999

In a message dated 7/29/99 1:57:50 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
RACHEL.HOLLIDAY at roche.com writes:

<<  Does
 the SCA advertise itself as authentic, if not then I probably won't have too
 much of a problem with it.  >>

Last I heard, the SCA does not advertise itself as anything.
Just kidding.  No, we each strive for becoming as authentic as we care to be,
in the areas we care to study.  I do make period looking garb, but I use
commercially available materials and a sewing machine.  My friend buys her
own wool, cards it, spins it, weaves the fabric, dyes it, and hand stitches
it.  I don't think she has quite gotten around to whittling her own wooden
needles........yet.
When I am testing recipes in my home for my own pleasure I often use modern
techniques and (sometimes) ingredients.  But when I cook a meal for others
that I represent as Medieval, I get as close as it is possible for me to get
to using the same techniques, ingredients, AND RECIPES as my ancestresses.
This is my field of interest in the Society.  I don't know a Rapier from a
Foil, a Great Helm from a Casque, and I have no idea what the Barding
Heraldry in the Equestrian Arts are all about, but I have friends who do.

Mordonna