SC - disease and sensationalism

Jeff Gedney JGedney at dictaphone.com
Thu Jul 29 07:55:54 PDT 1999

> Agreed. However, it is not reason to cause panic or unnecessary worry about.
> ESPECIALLY when we have already been told by official sources that the water
> table is normal in the area where Pennsic is held.
>
> If you don't want to drink the water, fine. But posting sensationalist
> information is not the way to go, IMO. I know you mean well but there is no
> official reason to be extra cautious at this time. Granted, it could change
> but you can get killed driving to work everyday also. Disease is not the
> issue. Heat is the issue, dehydration specifically. If information is needed
> then information on avoiding heat prostration and dehydration would seem to
> be more useful and timely rather than causing worry over nonexistent problems.
>
> Ras

Dear Ras,
Saying "there is no drought emergency in this area" is not the same thing as saying " the water table is topped off nicely, thankyewverymuch!"
I very seriously doubt that the water table will be "up to snuff". Western Pennsylvania has been very short of rain fall this year.

If you check out this link ( http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/subject/hotopics/drought/drou_map.jpg ), you will see that, even though there is no "Drought Emergency" in Butler county, a "Drought WARNING" is definitely in effect.
According to the Dennsylvania state DEP:
"DROUGHT WARNING: This phase prepares for coordinated response to imminent drought conditions and potential water supply shortages and initiates concerted voluntary conservation measures to avoid or reduce shortages, relieve stressed sources, develop new sources, and if possible forestall the need to impose mandatory water use restrictions. The objective of voluntary water conservation measures during a drought warning is to reduce overall water uses by 10-15% in the affected areas. Because of varying conditions, individual water suppliers or municipalities may be asking for more stringent conservation actions."

According to the data at the State DEP, Butler county has recieved only 53% of the normal anticipated rainfall this year.

Now tell me that "the water table is normal" in this area.
Any "official" source that says that the water table is "NORMAL" has their head in the sand!
I agree that there is no need to panic, but there is also no reason to be "Pollyannish" about it, either!
Just closing our eyes and wishing the drought away is not going to work.
Be aware, Be smart, and Be healthy!

I was not attempting to instill mass panic, just a offering a word to the wise.
I invite you to read the mortality and morbidity reports at the CDC, and note how frequently stressed watersupplies are mentioned as primary vectors of outbreaks of illnesses. They also show how frequently these are at state parks and campgrounds in the summer and how often stressed watertables are also associated. It is a recurring theme in the reports.
I hardly think that that is sensationalist information.
I think "Boil your water supplies and be careful at the swimming hole, because the evidence shows that these can get you very sick, and can kill small children" is equivalent to "wear safety goggles and do not remove the blade guards from your table saw, because the evidence shows that flying debris and accidental contact with the blade can blind or injure you, and can kill small children".
"Commonsense" precautions are only "common sense" when you know what you are precautioning against.
A commonsense precaution against ants invading your picnic is to use a spray repellant. Depending on that repellant is good common sense. If you are aware that you are making the picnic near an active nest of ground hornets, then the "common sense" is to have other, additional precautions.
Being aware of the nature of what you are precautioning AGAINST helps to establish just what IS a "common sense" precaution.
I wanted all my friends at the war to have information that I found that I thought likely to affect their preparations.
That is NOT rumor mongering.
You may choose to ignore me, but I urge you to read the available epidemiological data at the CDC, check the water data at the Pennsylvania DEP, and see how strong the parallels are this year to 1985.
(There was also no "drought emergency" in effect at PW 13, if you'll remember. )

brandu