Private-Re: SC - Medieval Portuguese cookbooks?

Thu Jul 1 05:38:04 PDT 1999

> Look for the Spanish recipes. Spain and Portugal were part of the same
> kingdom during several centuries. Their kitchen (most influated by the
> arabs) are mingled. But the portuguise were the first nation in using
> spices they found in Madagascar and Macao. Their recipes about the dried
> fish named "cabelho" are also unique.
> Greetings
> Ana L. Valdés

Portugal became an independent kingdom in 1139, consolidated in 1294 with
the final defeat of the Moors on Portuguese territory.  Spain retook
Portugal in 1580 and lost it in a revolt in 1640.

IIRC, "Um Tratado Da Cozinha Portuguesa Do Seculo XV" was found in an
Italian library (the Vatican?) subtitled as a Spanish cookbook by one of the
librarians.  This may be technically correct, as the publication seems to
fall in the period Spain held Portugal.

Portugal was the first European nation to make use of spices they imported.
The importation is the key point, because it reduced costs, located new
spices, and made more spices available to more people.

I've been slowly locating and collecting references to show that the
importation and use of eastern spices continued after the fall of Rome and
through the period prior to the Crusades and trying to determine what spice
was known when.

Bear