SC - open fire bread baking question

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Sun Jul 4 08:13:29 PDT 1999

And it came to pass on 30 Jun 99,, that david friedman wrote:

> >Brighid, wondering if it would be feasible to bring her sourdough starter
> >to Pennsic
>
> Why not? I've brought mine.

No reason other than my ignorance.  Normally, I keep it in a crock in
the fridge, except when I'm feeding it or making a batch of bread.  I have
no idea how to keep it alive and under control under field conditions for a
week.  Obviously, it can be done, but I'm fuzzy on the specifics.  I
presume that it should be transported to Pennsic in the form of a small
dough-ball.  My camp has very little shade, so I'm afraid that the usual
crock of slurry would bubble over in the heat.  Will it keep for long
periods in the dough-ball state, until I'm ready to turn it into bread?  FYI,
I have Carl's starter, which is fairly resiliant and well-behaved.

> David/Cariadoc
> http://www.best.com/~ddfr/

Brighid

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain