SC - adults only feast serving idea / Dutch (NL) book

Laura C Minnick lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Sun Jul 4 13:32:51 PDT 1999

On Sun, 4 Jul 1999, Robin Carroll-Mann wrote:

> > of course, I'll never no since the only available source for that
> > information that I am aware of CA 13 has been prohibited from being
> > republished under the insidious guise that it was 'unscholarly,' IIRC.
> [snip]
> The only available *SCA* source.  I couldn't get into the Library of
> Congress catalog (suspect they're offline for the holiday), but a quick
> search on amazon.com pulled up a bunch of decent candidates for inter-
> library loan:
><snip>

> Constructing Medieval Sexuality

_Constructing Medieval Sexuality_, Karma Lochrie, Peggy McCracken, and
James A Schultz, eds. (University of Minnesota Press, Minneapolis, 1997.)

I have a copy of this on my bookshelf, and it is a much better source that
CA #13 ever could have been. Not about porn, really, but about society's
morals and mores concerning sexuality and sexual expression. Lots of stuff
about the clergy, of homosexuality and gay threads in texts, gender roles
and gender confusion, and a really great articl by Michael Camille (a
noted art historian) on representations of sex in manuscript
illuminations.

I also have:

_Medieval Prostitution_, Jacques Rossiaud (Blackwell, Oxford UK, 1995)

Everything you could ever want to know about prostitution in medieval
Europe- the laws and ordinances, customs, sumptuary laws, etc. Also a fair
amount of info on marriage customs vis a vis young men expected to run the
town with the whores before they are married (much info from Italy,
interestingly enough). Prostitutes are seen as protecting respectable
girls and young married women from assault by marauding young men.
Interesting concept.
	And the paperback cover has a delightful picture (15th c) of
couples in big bathtubs, with a tester and curtains over, and a table
pushed up to the tub- with a meal laid out on the tables. The couple in
front seems to be eating bread and cherries with their wine. The
tablecloth is elaborately fringed and embroidered too! (Forgive me my
preoccupation with tablesettings...)

'Lainie
- -
Laura C. Minnick
- -
'A Vaillans Coeurs Riens Impossible'
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731