SC - salmon recipe?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Jul 4 18:47:28 PDT 1999

Harriet said:
> Stefan, I sliced the salmon on a meat slicer while it was mostly
> frozen.  This was a tip I got from the National Food Safety Database
> pages on drying and jerky, which gives a LOT of explanation of drying
> and tells you how to do it in the oven if you don't have a dehydrator
> (though I must admit, it is a pain to try to keep your oven at around
> 140 degrees F and stick a fan across the cracked-open door -- where do
> I get a cheap dehydrator??).  The web address is
> http://www.foodsafety.org/dryingfd.htm

I think there are some simple directions for making a dehydrator in this
file in the FOOD section of my Florilegium:
drying-foods-msg  (34K)  4/ 1/99    Drying foods in period and for the SCA.

However we bought one of the smaller dehydrators at Walmart or some such
for around $40. My wife got so interested in it at first that she then
went out and bought to more trays for a total of four. It got a lot of
use for a month or two but hasn't been used for several months.

I'm in Texas. I'd rather not run the oven for an extended time period
with the air conditioner also running. I've probably already paid for
much of it's cost in the energy savings of using it over the oven
method. Also, as the dehydrator takes less time, it may be safer for
doing meat items.

If any one wants any of my Florilegium files but doesn't have web
access, let me know which files you want or the filelist and I will
send them to you by email or disk for that matter.

> Stefan -- what is your local HEB?  Just curious, since those are my
> initials :-) !

Currently I believe that is the name of the company. At one time, it
stood for the founder's name, Harry(?) E. Butts or somesuch. I believe
they are a large regional chain. What I like best are their two new
Central Market flagship stores in Austin. Mostly items that you won't
find in the normal stores. I was stunned by the variety of dried
salamis and sausages and hams that I saw in the case yesterday. I also
bought more of the salted, smoked herring that I decided I like, but
a pound and a half this time instead of half a pound. They also had
a variety of flours in the bulk section. Many of which I've seen
mentioned here. I made a list and I'll have to go through it and
the stuff I've saved in my flour-msg file and see what they are
all used for. They also had jars of the double-cream and clotted
cream from Britain that have been discussed here. Their selection
of fresh pears was bigger than I think I've ever seen before. Lots
of food items imported from around the world. Bulk, candied ginger
was another item I bought a bunch of. Unfortunately, these
items can be expensive. Yesterday cost me $70 and I only walked out
with two sacks of groceries.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: