SC - Re: "cruel food"

ana l. valdes agora at algonet.se
Tue Jul 6 02:17:13 PDT 1999

My thesis is about how we deal with the animals, the "ethology" involved
in the process. I mean, how we slaught our mammales to get meat, how to
stuff goose with food to have their liver grow, all these things are
historical facts, evoluting from one era to another. My grandfather was
a veterinary and chemist, and worked many years as chief for the
Meatexport authority in Uruguay. At that time Uruguay was one of the
biggest meat exporters in the world.
He told me a lot about how sick animals were traded to make patés and
corned biff with them. In Sweden they are very sensitive about the
inmigrants from Middle Eastern, how de eat, what things they eat, how
they prepare the food.
My point is to try to constate that all civilizacions and ethnic groups
have agreed in some "methods" and have different alimentaries tabous. In
India you don´t eat meat of the cows, in very many countries, thats the
horse which is "not edible", etc, etc.
But all these tabous and methods to eat, to cook and to preserve the
food (from kosher to halal) are or were dictated by cultural demands.
The problem is, the topis is so vast, I am still collecting books and
iconography and I started 1993.
I don´t see any end, but see the thing as a "longliveproject"
Regards
Ana L. Valdés

Helen skrev:

> Hi Ana,