Huevos con salsa- was Re: SC - Turkish Breakfast - OOP

Tue Jul 6 06:31:00 PDT 1999

> Also, I've been corresponding with a lady on the subject of Period Aztec
> foods, and she feels that the chili con carne (which says a bit right
> there)
> that you adhere to is most likely a semi modern Texican invention, and
> that
> in period, there were a number of chile/bean/tomato/other vegetables
> stews,
> most without meat, but some with (mostly turkey and dog). Apparantly, the
> Native American Mexicans had very little meat, but would throw it in the
> pot
> when they did, thus making the chili you consider heretical. They also had
> no fat, and thus wouldn't fry, making refritos OOP.
>
> Phlip

Most of the true New Mexican dishes (Indian/Hispanic) of this style have the
vegetables and the meats cooked separately and combined at serving.  The
meats are commonly cooked with the spices and peppers for seasoning (I
suspect tomatoes are often added to the meat to let the acid tenderize it).
The vegetables are usually bland.

Apocryphally, chili con carne was the invention of Sister Mary of Agreda
(very late 16th Century) in the northern provinces of New Spain.

Bear