South Western dishes was Re: SC - Huevos con salsa-

snowfire at mail.snet.net snowfire at mail.snet.net
Tue Jul 6 13:11:02 PDT 1999

- -Poster: Elysant <Snowfire at mail.snet.net>

>I have had the opportunity to watch a number of Indian (Hopi?) ladies
>making "blue corn tortillas". They were very different from the usual
>store bought tortilla, but were indeed made from blue corn. The technique
>was very similar to that used to make Morrocan flat bread sheet (the name
>of which I can't remember and generally substitute filo for). The ladies
>made a soupy dough, or perhaps a very thick batter which they spread
>quickly in a very thin layer with their fingers on a very hot rock. After
>a few seconds they would peel off the papery thin 12" disk, roll it up and
>hand it to you. They would sometimes layer 3-4 to wrap around a filling.
>The initial papery texture would melt in your mouth. Yum...
>
>Mirhaxa

Yes that's exactly it, so I guess I got confused about adding something?
I wonder if you know what all was in them besides the corn?  Also, there
definately was something about the cook having to know the exact colour blue
to make it correct, as well as the fact that they did supply a nutrient
missing from the diet (still wonder what!). :-)

Elysant