SC - Sausages

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Jul 6 21:48:17 PDT 1999

Ras replied to my questions in regard to Master Cariadoc's mention of a
period vegetarian sausage recipe with:

> In a message dated 7/5/99 9:45:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time, stefan at texas.net
> writes:
> << Interesting. Is this for a specific religious reason? >>
>
> Pigs are unclean to both the Jewish religion and to those you practice
> al-Islam.

I am aware of the Moslem and Jewish avoidance of pork. I was referring
specifically to the vegetarian recipe mentioned.

> <<If so, how is it supposed to be cooked?>>
>
> Usually boiled then grilled.
>
> << In a casing of intestine?>>
>
> Yes, plus some were wrapped in skin or caul fat or even stomach.
>
> << If so, is it removed from the casing before eating?>>
>
> Why would it be? The intestines used were the intestines of whatever animal
> was used.

Except there was no animal used in this recipe - it was a vegetarian sausage.

So was there a casing. We do cook some sausage these days without a casing. I
don't know if just ground sausage was done this way in period. Part of my
question. So if there was a casing what was it made of? If it was of animal
matter then that brings us to the next question:

>  <<Or would the use of intestine not affect  the definition of vegetarian in
> period? >>
>
> Was there a definition of vegetarian in period? That is, were there people
> who lived in period that kept a vegetarian diet for moral reasons? More
> specifically would those people had they existed have been attending the kind
> of feasts we have records and recipes for? I think that the definition you
> are using is a relatively modern concept.

Well, abstinance from meat was done. Lent for instance. Personal vows by
various religous folks. Now today, we probably think of non-meat fasts to
not include fish. But they apparently saw a big differance between a meal
with red meat and a meal with fish.

Well, apparently Master Cariadoc has a recipe for a vegetarian sausage. So
if you contend that only feasts and recipes count as documentation, perhaps
such a person did go to a feast or two. It may be that this was one meatless
dish among many meat dishes. I don't know from the comments. I was just
curious about how you could create a vegetarian sausage.

It wasn't my definition. I was using Master Cariadoc's comment. As I haven't

Stefan
seen the recipe yet, I don't know if I would define it as vegetarian.

>  <<Stefan >>
>
> Ras

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net