SC - De Bello Gallico was: Celtic Dung Fires

brokk h940114 at stud.kol.su.se
Tue Jul 6 23:43:35 PDT 1999

Where did he write this ?  In "De Bello Gallico" or somewhere else ?
When it comes to Caesar his writings are far from accurate sometimes, but i
guess it all depends on where he got his information from.  He wrote a little
about Scandinavia (Thule) and to say the least, someone pulled his leg big
time...  I recall some thing about how elks were caught and to make a long story
short it gave the impression they were picked like mushrooms *boggle* but IIRC
Caesar never set his foot in Scandinavia so it must have been 2nd hand info.  He
spent quite a lot of time in Gaul on the other hand, so it would be a _lot_ more
reliable information.

Speaking of DBC....Has anyone been able to find an english translation of it ?
I've searched for it but only come up with smaller parts/extracts on-line which
were still in Latin which is not, I'm sorry to say, on my list of languages I'm
fluent in.

Angus MacIomhair.