SC - Verjuice

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Thu Jul 8 06:51:22 PDT 1999

hi all from Anne-Marie

Gunther sez to voldai re: verjuice...At 08:31 AM 7/8/99 -0500, Michael F.
Gunter wrote:
>> for my upcomming feast at steppes artisan 9ansteorra) i'm
>> using 2parts apple cider vinegar to one part apple cider.  yes i know, it's
>> the easy way out.  if it were for a display/competition piece/dish i'd make
>> it from scratch.
>>
>> voldai
>
>Although this is good advice for someone who has no access to verjuice, if
>you live in the Dallas area there is a very easy source of verjuice. I picked
>up a half gallon of "Sour Grape Juice" at World Foods on lower Greenville.
>Also there are a ton of Middle Eastern and Oriental markets in town that
>provides this. It's probably cheaper than the vinegar/cider mix you are
>making now.
>
>Why make substitutions when you have access to the real thing?

there are now TWO (2!!!!!) commercial sources for verjuice that I know of.

One is from Napa's Fusion Foods, PO Box 542, Rutherford California 94573,
at about $12 for a 750 ml bottle. DeLaurentis in Seattle carries it, as
well as Dean and DeLucca (the mail order yuppie food folks). They ahve it
in white and red.

we found a new kind on our 15th century re-enactment adventure. On the way
home, we stopped at Navarro Winery. They have verjuice! (also great grape
juice made from wine grapes. Yum!). They do mailorder, Navarro Vineyards,
5601 Hwy 128, Philo, CA 95466. Phone 1-800-537-9463.

Navarros verjuice is not as ascerbic as Fusion Foods, and is quite tasty
and palatable on its own, I thought. As well as being WAY cheaper at about
$8 for a 750 ml bottle! we ordered a case...:)

hope this helps...
- --Anne-Marie