SC - Tahini/Sesame Butter

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Thu Jul 8 08:26:47 PDT 1999

>You, Mistress, are a font of knowledge. :-) Thanks for the info. I,
>for did not know that. :-) Now you wouldn't have the fat content would
>you? :-)
>
>Ras

	Why, sure:
The "Nutritional Almanac - Fourth Edition" by Gayla J. Kirschmann and
John D. Kirschmann has the following entries about sesame seeds and
tahini:

Sesame - 1T measure = 120 calories, 1.9 Grams saturated fat, 11.0 grams
unsaturated fat, total of 13.6 grams of fat (no other nutrients are
listed.)

Tahini (listed as aka sesame butter)  1T measure = 89 calories, 2.6 grams
protein, 1.1 gram saturated fat, 6.6 grams unsaturated fat,  total fats
8.1 grams, 3 grams carbohydrates, .75 grams of dietary fiber, 64 mg of
calcium, (and several other nutrients, A, B's, minerals and amino acids.

	I would take this listing to mean that the tahini they are measuring is
in fact sesame butter, because the difference in the nutrient listings is
consistent with the hulls being present in the butter, but not on the
seed in the first listing.
	Chrisitanna