SC - Verjuice

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Thu Jul 8 22:57:31 PDT 1999

hey all from Anne-Marie...

At 09:18 AM 7/8/99 -0500, Michael F. Gunter wrote:
>> there are now TWO (2!!!!!) commercial sources for verjuice that I know of.
>
>Okay, so you say that Sour Grape Juice is not verjuice. But from what I've
>seen all you have to do is leave the Sour Juice out for a bit. Now I do admit
>there are wineries that are producing what they call verjuice and it may even
>be real authentic verjuice at very high prices but I don't understand why you
>say that Middle-Eastern Sour Grape Juice is not verjuice? From what I've
>read, verjuice is made by crushing underripe grapes and draining off the
juice.

hmm. I guess it does look like I was naysaying your source. Sorry! that
wasnt my intention at all! The emphasis was on the fact that I know of two
winery type sources, instead of the singular (and VERY expensive) one I
knew about before last week. You know how I get with new information...:)

ahem. What I MEANT to say was that IN ADDITION to the middle eastern stuff,
there's TWO other sources.
Is that better? :)

>The Sour Grape Juice I found was something like $4 for a half gallon. If this
>isn't verjuice it is certainly better than mixing vinegar and cider.

No arguement there.

>So, is verjuice simply crushed grapes or is there more to it? But as for now
>I'll stick to the Middle-Eastern stuff.

In a side by side taste test, they taste fairly similar, though I find that
the middle eastern stuff is much thicker, perhaps due to the type of grape
and percent water used? The Fusion and Navarro brands are more wine like in
mouth feel, thought they all have that ascerbic sour taste. yum!

also, I can actually find the Fusion stuff easier than I can the Middle
Eastern stuff (the Italian grocer carries Fusion, but my middle eastern
market doesnt carry grape juice. Pomegranite molasses and rosewater and
decorticated fava beans they got, but no sour grape juice). Go figure!

again, I apologise if it seemed I was poo pooing Gunthars source for
verjuice, that was not my intent. To each his/her own!
- --AM, who would like to make verjuice someday, just as an academic exercise...