SC - Introducing myself to the list

Mark Simms msimms at roadrunner.nf.net
Sat Jul 10 15:58:00 PDT 1999

Greetings all,

My name is Donal O'Congaile, and I hail from the Shire of Ar n-Eilean-ne
in the East Kingdom.  I've been in the SCA for about 4 years now, and I
spend most of my time fighting, brewing and cooking, though I try to
learn a little bit about everything.

I've lurked on the list for a few months, but never got around to
introducing myself with school and work throwing me for a loop.

At any rate I've been doing my best to learn about period cooking as
best I can in this most (well, maybe not the most, but close :) isolated
of shires.  I'm slowly building up my collection of books and recipes,
but any advice on good items to acquire would be greatly appreciated.

I've done a fair bit of cooking for events, first at the Jour D'Amour II
last year (an 18-dish meal for about 90 people), and most recently
planned and put off a small feast (well, large for us, small for most
I'd imagine) at the end of April.

Here's what we did for that one:

1. A lamb and pear tagine
2. A herb salat
3. Honeyed dates
4. Cheese and onion pie

5. Chawyettys
6. A bean stew (My own creation, not quite period)
7. A potage of raisins
8. Strawberry tartes

9.  A bourbelier of pork
10. Pears in Syrop

This was actually somewhat of an "amusing" event for me.  We had a
wonderful event site picked out, and reserved with a very interested
site owner.  The week before the event they would have finished putting
in all hardwood flooring and installing the commercial grade kitchen.
Then some unmentionable knave burned the place down leaving us with a
week to find another place.  I ended up cooking the whole thing on a
propane coleman stove. :)

I'm also the co-autocrat / head cook for our summer war camp, to be held
next weekend.  Here's the menu I've got planned for this one
(suggestions anyone?):

1. A herbed salat
2. A potage of Fava Beans
3. Cheese and Onion Pies
4. Roast Onion Salad
5. Saffron and Sandalwood Rice
6. Chicken Ambrogino
7. Icelandic Chicken
8. Lamb and Pear Tangine
9. Pears in Syrop
10. A subletly (most likely the shire arms done in marzipan,
blueberries    and blackberries)

I'm moving up to the Canton of Caldrithig in Ealdormere in September for
a 4-month work term, so I'm hoping to take in quite of bit of SCA stuff
up there, and perhaps the chance to get some experience in preparing a
large feast.  As we're pretty isolated it'll be my first chance to
attend a non-local event.  This should prove amusing :)

Donal O'Congaile of the Shire of Ar n-Eilean-ne

- --
Mark Simms                           Engineering Student, Class of 2002
Memorial University of Newfoundland  Vice President, 6th St. John's
WWW: http://www.engr.mun.ca/~msimms  Rovers, Ground Search and Rescue
Email: msimms at engr.mun.ca            IEEE Student Branch Secretary