SC - It's Butter.....Parkay

Aislinn999 at aol.com Aislinn999 at aol.com
Sun Jul 11 12:01:02 PDT 1999

I have a question pertaining to butter. I am still new to the cooks list so
please forgive me if this is an old question.

I have heard that butter was used by the lower classes as a substitute for
refined lard which was used by the higher class. It was also mentioned this
was because "in order to get refined lard you had to slaughter the animal
whereas the poor could not afford to slaughter their livestock."

If this being the case at what time was butter first introduced, and in what
cultures. Was it as now as we often purchase it, plain .... or was it as with
many different varieties (having several spices added it to it for different
taste). If that being the case where can one obtain copies of the different
recipes for butter? That is if there are any.

In service to the Kingdom of Meridies

Aislinn