SC - vegetables- green beans , squash

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Jul 14 22:02:16 PDT 1999

Lady Medb asked for help on a feast menu.

Lady Medb, some of the dishes that you mention have been discussed here
and other places over the years. These are the files I have in the
Florilegium that might be of use to you. These are in the FOOD section.

> The menu we are looking at is still very much in the planning stage,
> but so far it includes
>
> beef
roast-meats-msg   (48K)  6/16/99    Hints and period recipes for beef roasts.

> carrots
vegetables-msg   (164K)  3/17/99    Period vegetables. Recipes.
root-veg-msg      (80K)  9/15/98    Medieval and period root vegetables.

> salad
salads-msg        (94K) 11/30/98    Period salads. lettuce, greens.

> bread & butters
butter-msg        (91K)  6/ 2/99    Period butter. Making butter. Butter churns.
bread-msg        (131K)  9/ 2/98    Medieval breads and grains.
bread-stuffed-msg (22K)  1/ 5/98    Period stuffed bread. Rastons. Recipes.
breadmaking-msg  (186K)  4/13/99    Period bread recipes and re-creations.
brd-mk-sour-msg   (36K)  4/13/99    Breadmaking -Period sourdough bread recipes.
   (the last four are in the FOOD-BREAD section)

> savory toasted cheese
cheese-msg        (87K)  5/ 5/99    Medieval cheese. Recipes.

> vegetarian soup (we have several vegetarians so we must cater to them)
soup-msg         (114K)  5/10/99    Medieval soups. Cooking soups at events.
                                       recipes.
And for non-soup vegetarian dishes, this file:
vegetarian-msg    (45K)  8/26/98    Medieval vegetarianism. Lenten foods.

> desserts- bread pudding with brandy sauce, others to be provided by
> various members of the canton
You might suggest that the canton members might want to look at these
files in the FOOD-SWEETS-DECORATED section:
candy-msg        (127K) 12/11/98    Period candy. Recipes. Candied fruit peels.
Candying-art       (9K)  6/29/99    Period and modern descriptions of the
                                       candying process by Alys Katharine.
cookies-msg       (40K)  9/21/98    Period cookies. Recipes.
desserts-msg      (72K)  9/ 3/98    Medieval and SCA dessert recipes. Sweets
gingerbread-msg   (39K)  5/25/99    Medieval gingerbread. Recipes.

> drinks-maybe some type of lemonaid or similar drink durrring feast,
> wassail with dessert
beverages-msg    (102K)  9/17/98    Beverages in general. alcholic drinks.
beverages-NA-msg  (77K)  5/19/99    Non-alcoholic beverages.
jalabs-msg        (59K)  6/ 2/99    Drinks with a sugar or honey-syrup base
such
                                       as Sekanjabin (Persian Mint Drink).
wassail-msg       (15K)  9/ 4/97    Spiced cider and ale drinks.

These are in the BEVERAGES section. You may need to check the current SCA
rules on providing alcoholic beverages with SCA money before you provide
wassail.

> I am also thinking of adding an onion tart if my friend is interested.

Perhaps this file might be of interest:
To_Mke_A_Tart-art (20K) 11/30/93    Article on medieval recipes using a cheese-
                                      onion tart as an example.

> WE are looking for recipies that apeal to us and to the members of our
> group.

You might also find some of the feast menus and recipes given in the
FEASTS section useful. There are also some good suggestions and ideas
on how to cook and serve an SCA feast in this section.

I hope this is useful and not too overwhelming.
    Stefan
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: