SC - Real feasts?

Michael Macchione Michael.Macchione at widener.edu
Tue Jul 27 09:11:28 PDT 1999

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999 Bronwynmgn at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 7/26/99 10:47:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time, LrdRas at aol.com
> writes:
>
> << Is the use of forks typical for feast goers in you area? I seldom if ever
> see
>  them being used here. Knives, spoons and fingers, yes. Forks, no. >>
>
> One of us hasn't been looking then - either I'm seeing them where they
> aren't, or you're not seeing them where they are.  I would have answered this
> question as "Nearly everyone around here uses forks" - and we're close enough
> together that at least some of the feasts we go to are the same!  About the
> only person I can think of who doesn't use a fork uses chopsticks - and she
> has a Renaissance English persona!

Personally, I was raised to never put a knife in your mouth for fear of
slicing your tongue or inner jaw.  Thus I kinda have to use a fork to
"spear" to get it to my mouth....    I realize I can use my hands, but I
tend to work kitchens during feasts and eating with my hands and then
working with other peoples foods seems unwholesome even with washing my
hands.